29 June 2007

Testing... ooh look blogging from a mobile!

Oh I lied, I thought I was. Am still working out how to blog straight from the mobile which may save me the time it takes to upload the photos in one long shot every now and then. Although that does mean I'll have to frame them better. Hard with a moving child.

Poxes on the slugs and snails
Anyways a very satisfying weekend. What with the last two weeks of non-stop rain, the slugs have managed to decimate what remained of our lettuces and ONE ENTIRE COURGETTE PLANT which really ticks me off because that plant was flowering and it had teeny-weeny courgettes on it already. I only realised this yesterday because Alex spotted that the one remaining plant, another courgette, had flowered, and he was already anticipating stuffing that flower with ricotta and deep-frying it.

I didn't hold my breath because I saw the devastation in the rest of the bed and, sure enough, today, the flower was totally gone. Like the slugs had heard him. So today I cut up the bottom of a foil case that had previously held a bacon quiche, passed the courgette plant through it, tied it to a cane and squirted probably a pint of slug gel into the case. If the slugs get through the gel and sharp foil edges well, at least I've made them work for it. In the meantime I uprooted the stumps of lettuce, chucked them on our compost heap and planted some radishes and spring onions in alternate rows. Let's see how they like them onions.

No comments: